Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Watching TV Together Alone: A Postmodern Paradox


During the heyday of radio—I know this is hard to imagine—the typical middle class family would gather around the “box” to listen to a drama or variety show. Everyone would be staring at the radio as if they could see who was performing. It was as if the radio was the hearth in the home where members of a family would gather to seek their warmth as they basked in its glow. This common experience transferred to television, as families, neighbors and friends again gathered together to watch their favorite drama, sitcom, or variety program. Members of the family would talk about the programs and perhaps the next day at work or school talk about the programs with others. In this way media consumption became a “cultural forum.” I think this process of groups of people gathering in front of a TV screen discussing what they are watching and carrying that discussion forward into their next day is on the wane. You may still invite friends over to watch Project Runway, The Jersey Shore, or Grey’s Anatomy, but the idea of a forum is giving way to a more private experience, I think. For example, when you gather together in the manner described above, my guess is some of your friends will bring their laptops to either surf the Net or perhaps watch other programming. Yes, you may be sitting together, but you are likely to be doing other things. Or your friends may come over to your place or you to theirs, but instead of gathering in front of the proverbial hearth, people peel off and go into other rooms in order to watch something else, play a video game, etc.


The TV screen is no longer the only screen or the central screen, as we carry “screens” with us so we can do other things while the main group has gathered with the intention of doing one thing. This is the new forum, but its hardly a forum, is it? And, so the idea of a cultural forum in which we create a shared experience becomes a kind of individual experience where we are left alone in the company of others in order to process what is before our eyes. This is an interesting form of alienation that sociologists refer to as anomie. But I think the idea of being together and being alone at the same time puts a new twist on this old concept.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss the days when my friends and I would sit around a large table of pizza, popcorn, and soda (yes, we were quite healthy), and watch a television show or movie. This was a weekly occurrence in middle school, and even through some of my high school years. However, having a show or movie actually capture the attention of ALL of my friends today is a very rare occurrence. I don’t necessarily think this is a bad thing because we all have our own agendas and love to be constantly connected to the outside world through our phones, laptops, iPods, etc. Still, I don’t think we are really gaining anything by isolating ourselves from one another. When did we forget how to really be social?

Today, as college students, we see going out to the bars or clubs as being social. However, when we do go out to party, what is it that we end up doing? We’re texting, we’re making phone calls, we’re taking a picture on our Smartphone to upload as a TwitPic, etc. We seldom pay attention to the people who are actually around us, and I think it’s a very unfortunate thing. I guess the only way to validate this change in our actions is to attribute it to the technology itself. We’re attached. I wonder what would happen if we tried making it through a day without any form of social technology. I think we would lose our minds, but I also think we would learn a new meaning—the true meaning—of being social.

Unknown said...

By definition a forum is: An assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forum)

I think that by defining this word, the shift in television consumption is more easily seen. As previously stated, the television used to serve as an instrument to bring people together and to probe thoughtful discussion. When we watch TV today however, we often make a point not to speak during the program. We sit in a room with friends or family and watch something for our own personal enjoyment. It is rare that someone watches a television program with another person for the purpose of spending time with that person; when we watch programs we in a way distance ourselves from others. The television serves as an opportunity to not have to speak with another person.

In regard to why we less frequently discuss a program after it ends, there are a few possible explanations. The first to be considered is: there are less thought provoking programs. Most concepts on TV have been delivered before and thus are less worthy of discussion. Many programs are simple, mindless or raunchy and while they are in fact entertaining they do not provoke discussion. Another strong explanation for why people no longer discuss television shows or bond through the experience of watching television are the many distractions that accompany our viewing experience. It is almost unheard of for someone to not have a distraction while tuning in; between phone calls, texting, facebook, AIM, and internet surfing—there are almost always other screens involved in our lives, which deter our attention from the program and ultimately from the forum of which television once was.

Unknown said...

Watching television is one of my favorite past times. I can always get into a good show and become essentially addicted to it. I love watching television shows with my friends, because then I am able to have other people to discuss the characters and plot with. However, now when we all get together to watch a show everyone has their laptops and cell phones, or even other school work. No one can just watch the television show. We all have to be constantly doing something else as well. Once the program is over everyone runs off to their million other responsibilities and we are not even able to discuss the show.

Lately, I feel like I watch more television alone on my computer than with a group of friends. We are all so busy that it is hard to all get together to watch a program at the same time. When I do watch television on my computer sometimes my roommates are all doing the same thing in the same room. We would rather not have the personal interaction and enjoy the time to ourselves.

Something or rather some screen will always be in our face and usually multiple at a time. It might be nice to see how a day would be without any screens and distractions.

Louisa Petronis said...

I do see more often that access to many screens, instead of just a main on, is alienating, but my friends and I and my family and I still sit around and watch one screen and are able to have conversations concerning that general interest. At my house we don't have wireless Internet and we only have one TV. So we have to all sit around and watch the same thing. I also feel that my friends and I have the same interests that we all tend to watch shows that captivate all of our interests, eliminating the need for other screens.
With that said I do have a few blackberry friends, whose constant contact with 12 different people at all times I find frustrating.
Of course, there are times when the laptops are out on everyone's lap and a show of little importance is on. Perhaps for a portion of time we are segregated, but what we do online is usually shared. Most of the time it involves stumbling and finding out information. Or using the screens to look up things we have seen in a show or an advertisement. More than not, I find the use of another screen (more precisely an internet screen) a thing that can get us talking and get us activated. Of course, the more screens and the more variety of screens you add I am sure the connection between us will be severed. I think that it takes maturity to be able to sit around and talk. The screens are crutches and they have to be used correctly if they are going to enhance a conversation.