Monday, January 19, 2009

High Culture/Pop Culture: Who cares about the difference?


I’ve been humming the tune to Samuel Barber’s symphonic piece Adagio for strings, which features a haunting melody. The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performs the version I have on my IPod, and if I wanted to see the piece performed, I would likely attend a concert at a symphony hall. Symphony halls, historically, are not exactly what we might think of as a pop culture venue. Indeed, one would likely assign Samuel Barber’s symphonic piece to the level of high culture. But wait a minute, as I imagine the music, I could overlay the images of the Baltimore Ravens losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC division playoffs. But really, if you are a fan of Vietnam War era movies, you might recognize the piece from Oliver Stone's movie, Platoon. I will never forget the images of William Defoe’s bullet riddled body collapsing to the haunting melody of Adagio. Well, movies aren't high culture, they’re pop culture. So what happens when high culture becomes pop culture? I’m reminded of Aaron Copeland’s modern symphonic piece Rodeo that I also have on my IPod. But you might recognize part of that piece of classical music, Hoedown, from the “What’s for Dinner: Beef” commercial. Again, the use of classical music in a television commercial represents the melding of high culture and pop culture. Have you ever seen paintings by Andy Warhol? You know, the ones with the Campbell soup cans. Historically, fine art would have been associated with high art and therefore high culture. So, what happens when fine art is mixed with pop culture, as is the case with an Andy Warhol painting? The mixing of high and pop is a function of our post-modern existence where the lines of difference are blurred, in this case, rendering the difference between high and pop meaningless. The cultural studies approach we take in this course is less concerned with “High” (literary, elitist) and “low” (trashy, banal) culture distinctions. Rather the approach we take does not prejudice one “text” as better (high) or worse (low) than another. Lack of concern for such differences allows us to focus on other things: the social production and reproduction of media content (what we as consumers do with media content and how we reintegrate it into our everyday lives). Furthermore, we are concerned with power and the struggle against that power (resistance) evident in media content and expressed by users of media content. That’s why race, gender, class, ethnicity and national strata are important to the study of pop culture.

3 comments:

Ali Mech said...

While we were having our discussion in class about the difference between high culture and pop culture I was able to understand the concept even more when an example of my own popped into my head. As I sat in class I kept thinking about the theme song from the movie Boondock Saints. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0t5w02gIA )
I think this song would be an example of high culture as we have come to learn. I am sure that when the movie was made this song was not included to help sell the movie or anything. However, I know that today this is song is a favorite among many of my friends. A lot of people I know have this song on their IPod because it has such an energetic tone. It is very upbeat.
To me, I think all songs are able to have an effect on someone. Not only do pop culture songs like "If I were a boy" by Beyonce effect people, but songs like the Boondocks Saints theme song can do the same thing. I think high culture songs can serve the same, if not more of a purpose than any pop culture song. I know when I hear the Boondocks Saints theme it pushes me to do better. It is a great song to listen to at the gym!
So, overall, I do agree that there is really no longer a difference between high culture and pop culture. I just wanted to use the Boondocks Saints theme song as another example to prove that I agree with what Professor Alperstein states above.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about our class discussion last week regarding high culture vs. pop culture and what distinguishes the two. What makes one more popular than the other? Music of popular culture is music that appeals to the masses. The culture industry superimposes on us, a type of music that will provide the greatest amount of appeal to the greatest number of audiences.

In discussing the notion of high culture which is not particularly considered “popular,” I was surprised to discover that the haunting melody in the classical piece was in fact the background symphony for the award winning Vietnam film, Platoon. Like Platoon, I decided to unearth high pop culture pieces that weasel their way into videos deemed as “popular” by society and ultimately mass media through multinational corporations. One of my favorite movies including “Home Alone” contains high art music through which classical music becomes “popular” when attached to a movie that the masses can relate to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Vj5bz5nJs(Main Title- somewhere in my memory and Carol of the Bells by John Williams)I also found the Simpson’s theme song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7927ljBSQg&feature=PlayList&p=B88FB212B8958CB9&playnext=1&index=24

Lauren Polhemus said...

I was thinking about our class discussion last week regarding high culture vs. pop culture and what distinguishes the two. What makes one more popular than the other? Music of popular culture is music that appeals to the masses. The culture industry superimposes on us, a type of music that will provide the greatest amount of appeal to the greatest number of audiences.

In discussing the notion of high culture which is not particularly considered “popular,” I was surprised to discover that the haunting melody in the classical piece was in fact the background symphony for the award winning Vietnam film, Platoon. Like Platoon, I decided to unearth high pop culture pieces that weasel their way into videos deemed as “popular” by society and ultimately mass media through multinational corporations. One of my favorite movies including “Home Alone” contains high art music through which classical music becomes “popular” when attached to a movie that the masses can relate to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Vj5bz5nJs(Main Title- somewhere in my memory and Carol of the Bells by John Williams)I also found the Simpson’s theme song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7927ljBSQg&feature=PlayList&p=B88FB212B8958CB9&playnext=1&index=24